Homicide Lawyer Virginia
Homicide Lawyer Virginia If you have been charged with homicide, it is critical to speak to a homicide lawyer in Virginia promptly. The penalties you face are immense, so it is important to have someone with knowledge and experience on your side. A lawyer can thoroughly review your case and provide you with sound legal advice.
Common Defense for a Homicide ChargeAfter reviewing the unique circumstances of your case, your lawyer can determine the appropriate defense. Here are some common defenses for homicide charges:
- Self-Defense: If you killed someone to protect yourself from harm, you may be able to claim self-defense. In this situation, the court will likely require you to prove that you did not instigate the violence and used a reasonable amount of force to defend yourself.
- Insanity: If you were not mentally stable at the time of the homicide, you may be able to use the insanity defense. Although this defense will not get a homicide charge dismissed, it could reduce the penalties. For example, you may receive less prison time.
- Mistaken Identity: If you did not commit the homicide and are being mistaken for another person, mistaken identity is the best defense to use. In order to prove mistaken identity, you will likely have to provide an alibi. If possible, you should have other people verify that you were somewhere else when the homicide occurred.
- Accidental Killing: If you killed someone by accident, a homicidal lawyer in Virginia will likely use the accidental killing defense. However, if the accidental death resulted from a criminal act, such as drunk driving, you may still face a first degree or second murder charge.
- Defense of Others: If you killed someone to defend another person, you may be able to use this defense. You will have to prove that you used reasonable force to protect someone else from danger.