Drunk Driving Lawyer Arlington, VA
If you were recently charged with drunk driving, you should seek the help of a drunk driving lawyer Arlington, VA relies on. Despite the laws in place to deter drivers from getting behind the wheel intoxicated, it still happens more frequently than it should. Even despite the significant safety risks involved, drunk drivers are still out on the roads. Law enforcement officers work hard to stop as many drunk drivers on the road before tragedy can strike. Unfortunately, there are a number of drivers who are not able to be stopped before it’s too late. The behavior of a drunk driver can, at times, be obvious. Although law enforcement do their part, it’s important for others on the road to take action should they suspect someone they may be sharing the road with is intoxicated. The consequences for a drunk driver may involve criminal convictions. If you were charged by a police officer with drunk driving, you may find it beneficial to reach out to a DWI lawyer Arlington, VA relies on. For more information about your charges, please call May Law, LLP to speak with an Arlington, Virginia drunk driving lawyer now.
Drunk Driving Behavior
Police look for certain behaviors from drivers on the road before pulling them over for the suspicion of drunk driving. Police do not have the ability to pull drivers over without a reason to do so, because of this, they look for very specific cues that a person behind the wheel may be intoxicated:
- Traffic violations such as speeding or running red lights.
- Difficulty in maintaining their speed.
- Making wide turns.
- Weaving or drifting into other lanes.
- Sitting too long at a traffic light or having a delayed response.
Once a police officer suspects that a driver on the road is intoxicated, they will pull the vehicle over. They will then administer a series of field sobriety tests to confirm that the person driving is intoxicated. If this is the case, police will arrest and charge the driver with a DWI. If you believe the police officer performed any illegal tests on you, please contact your Arlington, Virginia drunk driving lawyer immediately.
Field Sobriety Tests
If a police officer pulled you over because they suspected you of drunk driving, there are any number of field sobriety tests that they may choose to perform on you to see if you are incapable of driving. Some examples of these tests are:
- One-Leg Stand. The officer may ask you to stand on one leg for 30 seconds to see how you maintain your balance.
- The Walk-and-Turn. This tests is a fairly clear indication of whether someone has had enough alcohol to be impaired. The officer will typically ask them to take a certain number of steps, heel-to-toe,then turn around on one foot and do the same thing in the other direction to their original place of standing.
Get the Help of a Drunk Driving Lawyer Arlington, VA Residents Trust
An attorney may be helpful in assisting you if you have been charged with a DUI or DWI. If you would like to speak with a drunk driving lawyer Arlington, VA residents know and trust, reach out to May Law, LLP to set up your consultation today.