Raymond B. Benzinger brings fifty years of legal expertise in his role as Of Counsel with May Law, LLP. He began his career as a law clerk with the U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, and spent six years as a trial attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice. As a Member of Delta Theta Phi Legal Fraternity, International, Mr. Benzinger served as Associate Justice and Deputy Vice-Chancellor, and remains a member today.
Mr. Benzinger’s career, however, turned from government work to domestic relations cases in the 1980’s, largely in Arlington and Fairfax; he has acquired a wealth of experience in Northern Virginia Courts in divorce law, spousal and child support, custody and visitation matters, and has become known for robust advocacy in the area of father’s rights.
A perennial Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Lecturer, Mr. Benzinger has presented numerous courses to other attorneys on Virginia Appellate Procedure, Child Custody and Family Law. He has held law professorships with both George Mason University School of Law and Catholic University Law School.
Mr. Benzinger has been a member of the Arlington Bar Association since 1985, where he has held committee and leadership positions throughout his tenure – including President and Director. From 2011 to the present, he has been a member of the Fairfax County Bar Association and serves the Circuit Court and CLE Committees. In 2002, he joined the Virginia State Bar Council and continues to serve that organization. He is also licensed in the District of Columbia. May Law is honored to count Ray Benzinger as its most distinguished family law scholar.
- Continuing Legal Education Lecturer: Virginia Appellate Procedure; Child Custody; Family Law
- Professor of Law, George Mason University School of Law, 1978 – 1983
- Professor of Law, Catholic University Law School, 1983 – 1984
Honors and Awards
- Associate Justice, Delta Theta Phi, 1977 – 1979
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Delta Theta Phi, 1979 – 1985
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Member, Circuit Court Committee, 2011 – Present
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Member, Continuing Legal Education Committee, 2011 – Present
- Arlington County Bar Association, Director, 2002 – 2011
- Arlington County Bar Association, President, 2000 – 2001
- Arlington County Bar Association, Secretary, 1999 – 2000
- Arlington County Bar Association, Chairman, Law Day Committee, 1985 – 1987
- Arlington County Bar Association, Member, Lawyer Referral Committee, 1985 – 1987
- Arlington County Bar Association, Member, Courts Committee, 1999 – Present
- Virginia State Bar, Member, Virginia State Bar Council, 2002 – Present
- District of Columbia Bar
Past Employment Positions
- Philip Nichols, Jr. U.S.Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, Law Clerk, 1971 – 1972
- U.S. Department of Justice, Trial Attorney, 1972 – 1978
- Delta Theta Phi