How can a landlord sue a prior tenant for rent and property damage?

QUESTION: How do I pursue a former tenant for damages to the property and non payment of rent?  The tenant left water running in the house when she moved out destroyed ceiling holes in wall didn’t clean anything trash inside and outside and abandoned vehicles are on the property.


To recover damages from a former tenant, one files a Warrant in Debt (if the tenant no longer possesses the property) or an Unlawful Detainer (if he does). Depending on the amount, one files in the General District Court or the Circuit Court. It is a two step process. First, one must win a judgment. Then, one must collect on that judgment. If the judgment debtor has little or no money, it may be difficult or impossible to collect.

Scroll to Top